Evolution was an updated version of Virtua Fighter 4. The game introduced two new characters and adjusted every other character as well. The two new characters were the Judoka-assassin, Goh Hinogami and the Muay Thai boxer Brad Burns. With the addition of Brad Burns, Vanessa Lewis's alternate Muay Thai style from Virtua Fighter 4 was removed and replaced with a Vale Tudo "Offensive" style; making her a solely Vale Tudo brawler.
All of the stages were adjusted. For example, Lei-Fei's stage in Virtua Fighter 4 previously took place during sunset, in Evolution it takes place during the morning.
Features at a Glance
- Improved Graphics: better anti-aliasing.
- New item store in Quest Mode.
- Currency system in Quest Mode.
- Opponent tracking log in Quest Mode: kept track of which opponents were fought in Quest Mode.
- Increased number of character items.
- Improved ranking system.
- Special gameplay modes (i.e. Hyper Fighter, See-Saw, Wrestler's, etc.).
- Emblem collecting: placed special incentive to defeat certain opponents or to avoid being defeated by certain opponents.
- New ring type; Semi-open/semi-walled.
In the US, Virtua Fighter 4: Evolution for PlayStation 2 also included as a bonus Virtua Fighter 10th Anniversary.