Opa-Opa is an unknown species. He likes to go shopping. He made his first appearance as the protagonist and playable character of the Fantasy Zone series. The first Fantasy Zone game is an arcade game released by Sega in 1985. Later, it was ported to a number of consoles, including the Sega Master System. It stars Opa-Opa, who fights nonsensical invader enemies in the Fantasy Zone. Because the settings are atypical of traditional scrolling shooter and pastel colors, it is sometimes called a "cute 'em up". He stars in the games Fantasy Zone and Fantasy Zone 2: The Tears of Opa-Opa. He has a brother named Upa-Upa who is the leader of the Fantasy Zone defense squad, and O-Papa, his daddy. He was also Sega's first mascot, which them became Alex Kidd, and then Sonic the Hedgehog.
History[edit | edit source]
Fantasy Zone[edit | edit source]
In the space year 6216 (1422 in the original Arcade version), the Fantasy Zone was cast in panic at the collapse of the interplanetary monetary system. The Space Guild reveals the plans of the planet Menon, whose forces are stealing the other planets' currencies to fund a huge fortress in the Fantasy Zone. Opa-Opa is sent to the Menon system after they stole supplies from other systems. It is revealed that Opa-Opa's father is the leader of Menon.
Fantasy Zone II: The Tears of Opa-Opa[edit | edit source]
Fantasy Zone II: The Tears of Opa- Opa takes place 10 years after Fantasy Zone. Opa-Opa is once again sent to defeat the Menons. As it turns out, the mastermind behind the Menons is Opa-Opa's bad self. Due to the emotional stress caused by the war he fought 10 years ago, he had split into two beings; one of them good and the other bad. Only O-Papa was aware of this fact and thus became leader of the Menons because of his bond with his son.
Super Fantasy Zone[edit | edit source]
Characteristics[edit | edit source]
Opa-Opa is 38 cm high (14.9 in), 40 cm wide (15.7 in), and 52 cm (20.5 in) long . Its feathery white wings are 19 cm (7.5 in) each and it weighs 16.8 kg (37 lb).  It has an opaque cyan screen, is red in the back and green on the bottom. Coming out from the bottom are two skinny yellow legs with large feet.
Appearances in Other Games[edit | edit source]
- Opa-Opa appears in a secret Fantasy Zone mini-game , in Arnold Palmer Tournament Golf, for the SEGA Genesis.
- Opa Opa is a playable character in Sonic andSega & Sonic All Stars Racing. It can be unlocked for 32,000 SEGA miles on the ds ye costs 100,00 sega miles.
- Opa-Opa is an extreme gear available in Sonic Riders
- Bio: "Opa-Opa is a sentient spacecraft, battling to stop the planet Menon from stealing the other planets’ currency to build a huge fortress. In winning this battle, Opa-Opa hopes to restore peace to the Fantasy Zone. Opa-Opa can hover and fly using its wings or sprout feet to walk on the ground."
- Opa-Opa appears in Samba De Amigo as a song, "Opa-Opa!".
- Opa-Opa appears as a toy in the capsule machines in Shenmue.
- Opa-Opa appears as a cameo appearance in the Sega Master System title Zillion.
- Opa-Opa appears as a Mag in Phantasy Star Online.
- Opa-Opa appears as a small decoration in Hatsune Miku: Project Mirai DX
- Opa-Opa cameos in a boss fight in the game Alien Syndrome.
- Opa-Opa appears as a DLC in DARIUSBURST Chronicle Saviours.
- Opa-Opa appears in Hyperdimension Neptunia with the Fantasy Zone disc
- Opa-Opa appears as a Mag in Phantasy Star Online 2
Appearances in Other Media[edit | edit source]
- Opa-Opa appears in the manga Famicom Fūnji and Warera Hobby's Famicom Seminar.
- Opa-Opa appears in the anime Red Photon Zillion.